Thank you church, for continuing to pray alongside the Leadership Team at First Church while we navigate the "In Between".
We're excited to bring you all some updates in our process of finding the next Senior Pastor at First Church at our next Congregational Meeting. On Wednesday, May 17 at 7 PM we'll pray together, affirm a few leadership positions, and dive into the details of where we are in our search. Come if you're able!
Thank you church praying alongside the Leadership Team at First Church in our period of transition.
Most transitions include a series of steps and milestones. Our current phase has continually been referred to as a "season of prayer," and that's exactly what has been happening. The Leadership Team has fervently been praying through this process. Leadership Team members and staff have gathered over the last month on Mondays to pray and repeatedly hand this process over to God and His timing.
On March 2, our church gathered for an evening of prayer. Here's the list of things that were prayed for during this time:
- Pray for the staff at First Church as they lead our congregation through this time of transition.
- Pray that our ministries would see fruit and that people would be changed by the power of the gospel.
- Pray that more and more volunteers come forward and serve.
- Pray for unity in our leadership and congregation as we take the next steps in this transition.
- Pray for wisdom for our elders as they refine the responsibilities of the senior pastor position.
- Pray for clarity in communication along every step of this journey.
- Pray for wisdom for the leadership team as they begin to put together a search committee.
- Pray that every detail of this transition will be led by the Holy Spirit and not by human wisdom.
We're inviting you to take part in praying for the things listed above. Prayer is essential to this process, and we want to give this step the weight and time it deserves. As detailed in the prayer points above, our Leadership Team is also in the early stages of forming a search committee.
Some steps in this process move slowly; others might move more quickly, but we're trusting God with every part.
In early January, as a church we entered into a season of transition as our Senior Pastor, Johnny McCallister resigned his position. Johnny served First Church for more than 13 years, and we are profoundly grateful for how he has loved this church and community so well. It was abundantly clear that God called him to First Church all those years ago to lead, love, and shepherd this church family. His impact will be woven into the fabric of our church for many years to come.
With any great ministry there comes a point of transition, and with any transition there can often times be relational difficulty. As we enter this season, we recognize that there will be feelings of sadness and loss. Through it all we trust our never-changing God to guide and point us to the hope found in Him. We believe that God has beautiful and amazing plans for First Church and our community. Together we look forward to fulfilling God’s calling for us as a church. Along the way as we move into the future, rest assured that nothing in our doctrine, theology or beliefs have changed. We believe more strongly than ever that First Church can be a community of people helping all people to meet Jesus, know Jesus, and follow Jesus. The Leadership Team has and will continue to fervently pray for God’s wisdom and guidance through this time.